Safety should come as the highest priority in our day-to-day operations as REALTORS® and independent business owners. Many times in our everyday business practices, we find ourselves meeting new clients (strangers) from online requests, showing vacant homes and driving to remote areas. Our personal information and our everyday activities are shared through social media. Although all of these may be common standards, it’s important to consider how to keep ourselves, customer, and families safe.
Here are some practices that I incorporate into my business:
- Collecting driver’s licenses from prospective customers that I have no prior relationship with nor have met in person If I request this and a person refuses, I believe it’s a red flag and I will not meet them.
- Providing the property and contact information for the people I am showing to a family member or colleague and letting them know once I safely depart my This means I am out of the property and within my car.
- Knocking loudly and announcing myself before entering any properties.
- Remaining near an exit at an open house to not trap myself in a room with parties visiting the open
- Sharing my cell phone location continuously with family, friends or colleagues.
- Strategically parking at a property to ensure my vehicle cannot easily be blocked in.
- Being mindful of posting my location on social media, especially when somewhere by myself.
Lastly, always trust your “gut”. Instincts are everything. If something doesn’t feel right, listen to that. Bring someone with you or cancel the appointment.
What are some safety tips that you use in your business? Post them to Facebook and tag us and we’ll share them on our YPN Social Media pages!
I also want to take the time to thank everyone who came out to the 2022 GTR Young Professionals Network Blue Party. It was great to see everyone again and I am glad we were able to support Everyday Blessings Inc. and their mission to provide high-quality care for children and young adults in the foster care system in Tampa.
Ashley Christie (Flourish RealEstate) is a former GTR Board member and the 2022 YPN Ambassador.