REALTORS® are required by the National Association of REALTORS® (NAR) to complete 3 hours of Code of Ethics training within four-year cycles. For the current cycle, all training must be completed between 2017-2018.
- If you last completed your ethics training prior to 2017, You MUST select an option below and complete your option prior to Dec. 31, 2018.
- If you need to check your last ethics training date, please Visit www.realtor.org, sign in to manage account, and view education records. For sign in assistance, please contact NAR at 1-800-874-6500.
Ethics and Business Practices:
Under the new FREC rules that were announced October 2017, a three-hour Ethics and Business Practices course became mandatory as part of the renewal requirement. Under the continuing education 14-hour requirement, a real estate licensee with renewal after March 31, 2018, must include:
- 3-hour Core Law course
- 3-hour Ethics and Business Practices course
- 8-hours of Specialty courses (which may include a second Core Law course)
This does not impact post-education requirements that apply to renewal of an initial license.
NAR Ethics Training:
REALTORS® are required to complete ethics training of not less than 2 hours, 30 minutes of instructional time within two-year cycles. The training must meet specific learning objectives and criteria established by the National Association of REALTORS®.
Now that we’ve clarified each requirement, here’s where the confusion comes in for some.
In some cases, the National Association of Realtors®’ Code of Ethics requirement, may qualify as a CE course under the new Ethics & Business Practices credit category for license renewal. This would depend upon each Association (Course Provider), whether they have SUBMITTED and had the course APPROVED by FREC to qualify as 3 hours of Ethics & Business Practices.
While NAR’s FREE online Code of Ethics course does not have CE Credit approved in any state, the National Association of Realtors® and Florida Realtors have partnered with online course providers , such as the CE Shop, VANEd and Interact CE who have it approved for both NAR Ethics Training and FREC’s new Ethics & Business Practices credit requirement.
Live courses such as Code of Ethics through the Florida Realtors CE Express program and GRI Module 101, have also been approved for both Ethics & Business Practices through FREC and meets the NAR requirement .
Take a free online ethics course available through the NAR site here.
3 options to complete the Code of Ethics Requirement
At the Association
- Visit the Event Calendar to register for training at GTR. Simple! There is no cost to members.
In Your Office (for Brokers)
- This option is great for Brokers! View NAR’s training videos below, sign a waiver, and host the training at your office.
- Click here for the Broker Waiver Form
- 3 CE Option ($29.95)
- FREE Course for New Members (No CE Credit)
- Course for Existing Members (No CE Credit)
For more information, please contact Jennifer Garula-Mers.