By: Jacob Bruynell, Governmental Affairs Manager at Greater Tampa REALTORS®
Generally, this time of year, Greater Tampa REALTORS® members are gearing up to board a charter bus and travel to the Florida Capitol to advocate for the real estate industry and private property rights. This event, Great American REALTOR® Days (GARD), is held annually during Florida’s legislative session in Tallahassee.
During GARD, REALTORS® from around the state visit the Capitol to meet with lawmakers on pending real estate legislation and discuss important issues impacting Florida’s real estate industry. Although it will be virtual this year, Florida’s 2021 legislative session brings new opportunities to promote the REALTOR® profession and defend the rights of property owners throughout the state.
The session is scheduled to last 60 days, during which time many different bills will be discussed, debated and voted on that could affect the REALTOR® profession. The Virtual GARD Event will be held on March 15-17. For more information on how to get involved, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.In past years, REALTORS® who participated in Great American REALTOR® Days have been instrumental in legislation that:
- Cut the Business Rent Tax
- Added money for affordable housing projects
- Allocated significant funding for Florida’s natural resources
- Capped community association fees for estoppel certificates
- Protected homeowners from excessive flood insurance increases
- Stopped a sales commission on your sales
- Authorized online/remote notaries
- Curbed emotional support animal online certificate abuses
- Provided new tools for closing open/expired permits